Our Little Church


Photo History


Church Tour

Rectory Tour

Restoration Projects
Contact Info.



Contact Information

The Sisters





Other Links

Our Favorite Links

Elk Altar Society, Inc.
EAS Contact Info.


    Here you can view a few photographs of the early communities of Cuffey's Cove and Greenwood.  Also pictured are some of the early priests and parishioners of the area.

Click on any photo for a larger version

Cuffey's Cove as it appeared probably in the 1880s or so.  Note the spire of St. Mary, Star of the Sea at the far west of the photo. 

Photo Cuffey's Cove in the late 1880's
Cuffey's Cove taken looking north.

Cuffey's Cove was a town built around the timber industry.  Railroad ties, split stuff (shingles), lumber and tan bark we shipped to San Francisco on schooners such as these.

Lumber schooners waiting to load at Cuffey's Cove
Lumber schooners in bay at Cuffeys Cove

James Kenney, a native of Ireland, settled in the area in 1855.  It was largely through his initiative that Cuffey's Cove grew and prospered.  The large home he built still stands as a legacy to this early period of our history.

James Kenney Home The Kenney home faced the west overlooking  the little bay where lumber schooners loaded their cargo.  It was purchased by the Nonella family in 1929(?) and later in the 1960s by William Roth who still owns the home today.

James Kenny home when owned by Nonella family
Kenney house as it appeared when owned by the Nonella family.

James Kenney donated the land for the Catholic Cemetery and church to the Diocese of Marysville in 1879.  Father Sheridan had St. Mary, Star of the Sea constructed  about 1880.


St. Mary, Star of the Sea at Cuffey's cove in 1890's
St Mary, Star of the Sea at Cuffey's Cove

As a result of fire destroying most of  the town of Cuffey's Cove plus  the construction of a mill one mile south in Greenwood, the community became a "ghost town."  Greenwood became the center of the lumber industry.

Greenwood (now Elk) early 1900's
Greenwood at turn of the 20th century.

The wharf at Greenwood where the lumber schooners loaded their cargo to be taken to San Francisco.

Warf at Greenwood early 1900's The Blessed Sacrament Church was built in 1896  under the leadership of Reverend Father White, an English priest.  Here is the Blessed Sacrament as it appeared around the turn on the 20th century.

Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church early 1900's
Blessed Sacrament

The rectory was constructed under the direction of Father Walruzel approximately 1882. A list of everyone pictured can be seen if you click on the thumbnail.

Original Rectory Building in late 1800's

Another view of the Blessed Sacrament Church taken probably in the 1950s.

Blessed Sacrament Church before the steeple was removed

Here is an interior photo of the Blessed Sacrament Church taken probably before 1900.
Early photo inside the Blessed Sacrament Church This sun room was added to the rectory about 1890's or early 1900s.  Here is a photo of Rose Smith in the sunroom. Photo of the "Sun Room" in the early 1900's

Both Michael and Catherine Donahue were natives of Ireland.  They settled in Cuffey's Cove in 1858.  Pictured at the right is Catherine.

Photo of Katheryn Donahue
Catherine  Donohue

Michael Donahue, pictured at the right, donated the property for the church and rectory.  Their home still stands at the foothills east of the Blessed Sacrament.

Photo of Michael Donohue
Michael Donohue
The photo to the right depicts the gathering to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of Catherine and Michael Donahue.  Taken in 1909.

50th Wedding Anniversary of Donohue's
50th Wedding Anniversary of the Donahues.

Father Marianus Fiege, one of the first English Franciscan Capuchins who took charge of the coastal missions, came from Liverpool, England.  By 1907 the spiritual care of all Mendocino County Catholics was under the direction of the Franciscan Capuchins.  Fr. Fiege was the Superior of the Capuchins.

Mariannis Fige - Capuchin Priest
Reverend Father Marianus Fiege, OFM Cap.

At the right is another photo of the early English Capuchins.  The names of the other priests are unknown, but it is likely that one of them is Father John Mary Finigan who came to the states with Fr. Fiege. Photo of English Capuchin Priests
Father Laurence Blanderfield, along with Fr. Sebastian Brennan, were invited by the Archbishop of San Francisco to minister to coast Catholics in 1903.  Fr. Blanderfield lived in Greenwood from 1905 - 1915.

Father Blanderfield
Fr. Blanderfield

Pictured here is Father Blanderfield, OFM Cap., with the First Holy Communion group about 1907.

Photo Holy Communion 1907
First Communion children about 1907.  Click here for names.

At the right is a photo of (left) Mary Dever and (right) Connie Hausen with Father Blanderfield (?)

Fr. Blanderfield, Mary Dever, Connie Hausen
Father Urbin Riordin, OFM Cap.,  was the pastor in Greenwood from 1920 - 1936.

Fr. Urbin Riordan A gathering of the Elk Altar Society approximately 1953 or 1954.  Priest is Father Antonine Keating, OFM Cap..

Fr. Keating and the Elk Altar Society 1950's
 Fr. Keating and the Altar Society



Home - Our Location  -  Church History  -  Photo History  -  Pastors - Church Tour  -  Rectory Tour  -  Restoration Project  

  - The Sisters -  Local Community  -  Issues Papers  - Newsletter - WeddingsOur Favorite Links - Elk Altar Society - EAS Contact Info.